Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building rig. Cant decide which G.Skill set to get!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building rig. Cant decide which G.Skill set to get!

As stated on the thread tittle, I am in the process of building a new rig. Mostly for gaming and while Ive decided on most parts, I simply dont know what G.Skill set to get.

The mobo is an ASRock Z77 extreme4 which has the following Memory specs:
    - Dual Channel DDR3 memory technology
    - 4 x DDR3 DIMM slots
    - Supports DDR3 2800+(OC)/2400(OC)/2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
    - Max. capacity of system memory: 32GB*
    - Supports Intel? Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 1.3 / 1.2

and the CPU is the Intel i5 3570k that has the following memory specs:
    Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type) 32 GB
    Memory Types DDR3-1333/1600
    # of Memory Channels 2
    Max Memory Bandwidth 25.6 GB/s
    ECC Memory Supported No

I might be wrong but Im pretty sure those are the components that matter when choosing the best RAM set for the rig.

I checked both G.Skill's list for sets qualified to ASRock Z77 extreme4 and while at it checked ASRock's one as well.
    I found it weird that ASRock lists some sets that aren't on the G.Kill link provided.

And thus my decision on making this thread.

I originally indended on getting a 2x4GB model with the highest clock speed I could aford (since the mobo supports up to 2800mhz), since I assume that the higher the better. (Misconception?)

Should I limit myself to cross referencing the lists? Doing so limits my self to this set F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR, that has a speed of "only" 1833mhz.

Im really torn about this and any input would be greatly appreciated. And I apologise If this kind of thread is incovenient.

Great mobo, that's one of my ttwo primary systems - as far as the QVLs - sort of a waste of time, the mobo makers test with whatever they have available and the DRAM makers test with what mobos they have available....might take a look at my info thread here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=10566

On to your other questions/comments, first as to freq of the DRAM: for the most part a 'good' 3570K can run 2400, a few can even run 2600 (though I've only had my hands on one....think GSkill once mentioned they have had luck w/ the 3570K and 2400 in only about 20% of the 3570Ks they have tested with...so I'd suggest 2400 as sort of the top end.

I'd suggest going w/ 8GB at a minimum as you say and would lean towards 16GB (in a 2x8GB) set, just to sort of bulletproof you for a year or two (or more)....Most any of the GSkill sets will work fine for you in either 2x4GB or 2x8GB and I'd suggest a2133/CL9 or 2400/CL10 set. By specific models I like the Tridents best with this combo (am running 32GB of the 2400/CL10), followed by the Ripjaws X 2133/CL9 or the Snipers in 2133/CL9. (those combos I've been able to OC to 2400, next, choice wise for me would be either the Ripjaws Z or Ares. Will be back in the AM if you have any further questions

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for taking your time to help me out. Really appreciated!

A few points, though:

I did read the sticky you mentioned. Thats why I linked this: http://www.gskill.com/configurator2....d=2&model=1604
      From the sets you mentioned is it safe to assume that this list is incomplete and/or incorrect? (since all of your recs aren't listed there)

I still havent bought the CPU. 20% chance to run mem @2400mhz you say? Will have to cross my fingers and pick up a, as you put it, 'good' one.

Wouldn't it be risky to get 2400/CL10 Trident only to find that my 3570K can't handle it?
      Last edited by Abso; 10-24-2012, 11:29 PM.

Comment

One of the reasons I mentioned the link is the sheer numbers, Gskill alone has around 180 offerings of DDR3 DRAM and there are over 200 motherboards available in socket 1155 by itself, which would make for 36,000 combinations to test (just with socket 1155 (and they would need to be retested with each BIOS revision)). Which is why most manufacturers (both DRAM and Mobo) only test a sampling of available components.

I'm not GSKill, but saw a post indicating the 20% or so figure about the 3570Ks from them. That could be directly the CPUs themselves but oft times is also connected to the BIOS i.e. when I first got my ASrock X4, it wouldn't 32GB of 2133 or 2400 via XMP, basically it didn't allow for a tRFC (advanced timing) high enough for these sets. After working with them they got a new BIOS out and the sets would load fine under XMP. Then they brough out a new BIOS and lost it, they had dropped the top end for tRFC to 255 again. They have since 'fixed' it yet again, so the latest BIOS is supposed to handle it.

As far as taking a chance or being risky to go 2400, I often go as fast as I can w/ DRAM as long as it's in the budget. If it's too fast at 2400 can always downclock to say 2133/9 or even 2133/8, and there's always the possibility, a BIOS fix will come in that will allow you to use the higher freq, or it can help you down the road if you decide to upgrade to a more powerful CPU that can handle the the higher freq - like a 3570K

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

So. I ended up getting the Trident X set.

In the mobo bios it was actuallly really simple to load the XML profile with the same specs on the link I provided. I Did not even touch the CPU settings..

After several reboots and even a BIOS update, the specs listted on the bios are the still the same as advertised ones. But heres the thing:
          I ran CPU-Z and it lists my memory clock as 1200mhz or something.. Im kinda confused. Shouldnt it list show the same clock as the BIOS setting? or at least a very close number?
          What gives? Am I doing something wrong?

Comment

DDR3 is Double Data Rate so you take the freq shown times 2 or 1200 x 2 = 2400...Glad all is well!

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X