Can't update to firmware 1571

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't update to firmware 1571

I've downloaded the update for firmware 1571, I've followed the VERY basic instructions, and no matter what I do, I always get a "ERROR: Supported SSD not found" message. I've read the VERY basic PDF...and it says to check and make sure there's a "YATAPDONG BAREFOOT-ROM" device in the Device Manager... Ok, I've done that, and Yes, the device IS there... Now what? Very bad instructions...it doesn't tell me what to do if/when the device is there or isn't there... So why even mention it at all!

Please help!

10 Easy steps to firmware updating!

I made a post just before you made yours, the instructions suck at best, and i couldn't EVEN download the damned instructions!

Ok. My own checklist to you would be the following in 10 easy steps (Contributions Welcomed!)

1/ TAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR OS IF THERE IS ONE ON THERE, THE OS WILL BE WIPED CLEAN OFF OF IT! - Use something like GHOST, or True Image (I use this)

2/ Copy the flash files (there's 3 of them) onto either a HDD, or USB key where you can find them.

3/ Make sure the jumper is on/shorted

4/ Make sure your SSD is the absolute FIRST device on your motherboard, before HDD, CD/DVDRW drives... To check this Enter BIOS it (YATAPDONG BAREFOOT) should be the first one listed, If it says GSKILL FALCON* you don't have the jumper on the device

5/ Boot into an Operating system (NOT the one on the SSD!) (Preferably Window XP).
    You can use a windows LiveCD, or WinPE (preinstallation environment), I used Hirens BootCD 9.7 BootCD to boot into a Mini Windows Environment... From there, the USB Key gets plugged in, recognised, and the "START.EXE" is invoked

6/ Let the flasher do its thing

7/ When finished, Remove jumper and store somewhere safely

8/ Reboot

9/ Restore Image

10/ Reboot

Comment

Still No Joy!

Thanks Kludge...but still same thing... I read your post and thought that was the problem since I have 2 other drives in my system... I did a little cable shuffling and made sure that the SSD is THE first drive, and it shows up in Windows as Disk 0... but running "start.exe" I still get the same stupid error.

I decided to try it in another system with only one drive, again making sure that the SSD is drive 0... but still the same thing... I'm starting to wonder if I got a lemon.

I should point out that I just got this drive today, but having read some of the bad reviews and KEY suggestions that I make sure to update to 1571 before doing anything else... I decided that's what I'd do...

So, I've got nothing on the drive, zero, zippo, nada... In Windows, I can initialize it and create a primary partition of 128gb, and initial tests seem to show that the drive is working... So maybe I don't need the update (ya right!).

Sure wish G.Skill tech-support would weigh in on this one.

Do you know how to determine which firmware rev is actually on the drive?

Thanks

Comment

Ok, I'm a knucklehead (sort of)!

After having read a couple more posts about how to find out what firmware rev. I have, I found a uitlity called "HD Tune" (the free version) that will show the firmware verson in the "Info" tab... And guess what... I already have 1571... Doh!

So I'm guessing that G.Skill's great and wonderful error diagnostic message really means: "You already have version 1571, no need to update." ... Don't you think that would have been a much better message to display? G.Skill? ... Hello? ... Anyone there?

In any case, I'm a happy camper... and I just ran the CrystalDisk benchmark and pretty much crushed all of the others who posted their results...so I'm really jazzed now.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X