64 GB SSD no longer shows in BIOS or anywhere else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 GB SSD no longer shows in BIOS or anywhere else

I've just purchased a new GSkill 64 GB SSD to use for the OS, XPPro 32 bit, and proceeded as follows.
    The SSD showed up in Computer Management.

Following guidance on various Forums I used diskpar to set the offset to 128 and tried to create a 25 GB partition.
    The CMD/DOS window clearly showed the creation of the partition although Computer Management simply showed the SSD as un-partitioned.
    I then undertook a quick format..

I attempted to restore an Image of my existing OS partition on my HDD, created using Acronis TI 11, to the SSD.
    The SSD would not boot and came up as unformatted in Computer Management.

I again used diskpar and undertook a quick format and attempted to restore an image of the OS using Disksnapshot.
    The SSD again would not boot and again was shown as unformatted.

I used diskpar again, followed by a quick format and then attempted a clean install of XPPro, without the formatting option, with the SSD as the only disk present.
    The install almost completed when an error message appeared.
    I can't recall the wording but it was obvious the install had not been completed successfully.

Since then the SSD has never shown up in the BIOS, Computer Management or whilst using bootable CD's eg Acronis Director's Suite 10.

I have used different SATA ports, different SATA leads and different power leads from the Corsair 620HX and the SSD is not being detected.

The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R R1, with the original BIOS, which I am reluctant to update since I could end up in a worse situation than I am now, if the flash goes badly.

Bearing in mind the SSD was initially detected is it possible or likely that the old BIOS or something else is causing the problem, or is it the case that the SSD should at least be detected, unless it's dead/faulty.
    Last edited by Javelin; 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM.

Which G.Skill SSD drive do you have? Seems like something screwed up the SSD drive. The easiest thing for you to do would probably be to send it back to your original place of purchase for an exchange. If it is over the 30 day warranty period, then please visit our website for further RMA return procedures.

Thank you
    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

It's a 64 GB Falcon. The reference (FM-25S2S-64GBF1) may be relevant.

I will return it since I think it must be faulty.

My main concern was if the motherboard BIOS could have caused a problem even though it initially was able to detect it and now can't.

Thank you GSkill
      Last edited by Javelin; 07-14-2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X