Just Curious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Curious

Just purchased the Ripjaws xF3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL.
    Motherboard: MSi H55M-P31
    CPU: i3 530 (o.c. to ~3.5)
    I enabled XMP to increase memory speed.
    It is Dual channel, lowered tRFC from 144 to 133. Improved boot time. How low can I safely go with this?
    Using MaxxMem2
    Memory Copy 9708 MByte/sec.
    Mem.-read 10088 MByte/sec.
    Mem.-Write 7898 MByte/sec.
    Reached mem. score: 8.99 GB/sec.
    Mem. Latency:89.6ns

DDR3-798(1596) MHz, Dual symmetric-Channel (9-9-9-24-2t)

oh yeah, OS is Win. 7 Home Premium, sp1 64bit.

I am a noob, but have been reading up on this stuff for the past month. Just wondering if my benchmarks are what they should be at, and what the benefits of benchmarks are? Input is much appreciated.
    Last edited by jon666; 05-19-2012, 03:04 PM. Reason: Oops wrong setting info...

One comparison might be to play with the timings and Bench after each successful boot - you can jot down the figures as you go or just use the Snipping Tool to save a screenshot of the results and give a descriptive name like trfc 133 or whatever. Might want to experiment more with base timings than the advanced as they generally don't offer alot in performance gain. From where you are at could try maybe 1333 at 8-8-8-24 and see the diff, or try 9-9-9-24 1T which would be a boost, then maybe 8-9-9-24 2 T, then same with 1T (at CL8 may need to boost DRAM voltage up say + .05 to start). BM mean alot to many (more so to OCers and Gamers) and to many others don't really mean much unless they are unhappy with performance and are trying to isolate WHY, the system doesn't seem to be performing to what they expect.

Hope this helps, any other questions whether general or specific, just give a shout, I'll be watching NASCAR for awhile so I'll be close (have DirectTV running through the computer to one of my screens)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah I have been watching the history channel waiting on memtest. Seems to be doing okay. I will have to try those other timings and see what i can get. My bios doesn't allow for many options for o.cing but in my case it is probably best to stick with the simple stuff till I learn what it can handle. Will probably contact you either when I screw something up or find a setting with great performance.

Comment

I'm generally around, especially weekends, during the week oft have to be out in the field/on site but try and keep up with GSkill and a couple other forums

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The only way I can increase volts is to o.c. my cpu (which I have been doing anyways). After trying some of your suggested timings I am starting to figure out which direction I need to be heading for improved performance. The memory latency is dropping and everything else appears to be increasing as well.

Comment

http://hwbot.org/submission/2285068_...ram_85.9_marks

Comment

Sounds good, keep us updated as you have time, it can be of help to others

Tman

Comment

Timings

I have tried the 8-8-8-24 as suggested. It seemed to run great, performance improved but memtest showed two errors. I accidentally left it on when I ran to work last night so it was running for 20+ hours. Would my system still maintain stability? I also tried setting ram speed to ~1333 and timings to 7-7-7-19 hoping slower speed would allow me to decrease timings. That was not good. From what I have read on the internetz timings should be tCL+tRCD+RP should be greater or equal to the RAS. Are there any benefits to increasing RAS? Sorry for all the questions, been busy looking for the perfect setting. One more question. What is the ideal ratio for fsb:dram?

Comment

The addition goes back to DDR and into DDR2 to a degree it's still true per JEDEC standards but even those are loosening up....the preset spec timings are generally good for most any system, from there it's up to the individual, and OCer's definitely tend to push the envelope. Ideally 1:1 was wished for, but RAM won't always clock up to whats possible with the FSB and sometimes the DRAM can go higher than the FSB so it becomes a balancing act of getting the best DRAM freq and OCing the FSB as high as possible. Two errors I wouldn't worry about, if you do can take DRAM voltage or MC voltage up .01

Tman

Comment

Finally figured out how to change DRAM voltage. Timings are at 8-9-9-24. Going to try and get them to 8-8-8, Thanks for all the advice and explanations so far Tman. Seeing improvements trying to take things slow and let memtest run at least two passes.

Comment

Good plan, we'll be here

Tman

Comment

Working...
                      X