• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question on ram capacity

If the specs on the GSkill website state:
    Capacity
    4GB(4GBx1) / 8GB(4GB x 2)

Is 4 x 4GB of this type an option? 2 in each bank....

Or is this just the way the kits are sold and multiples aren't an issue?

What is shown on the GSkill site is the available options that a particular stick is sold in, i.e. as you show that particular stick may be only sold as 4GB x 1 or 4GB x2, others may be x1, x2, x3, x4, x6, x8......if a particular stick doesn't come in the quantity you want there are generally very similar models that come in the quantity you desire. Might take a look at NewEgg, that carries most all models and allows you to 'shop' by Brand, freq, total quantity, number of sticks, etc. If you need any help on a specific model or compatibility with a chipset, CPU or mobo, give us a shout.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

The specs on the motherboard are

Memory capacity of the server is:
      Registered DIMM: 2, 4, 8 GB
      Unbufferred ECC DIMM: 2, 4 GB
      Up to 32 GB registered DIMMs when fully populated with 2 DIMMs per channel in 4 slots
      Up to 16 GB unbuffered DIMMs when fully populated with 2 DIMMs per channel, 4 slots

Short of opening the case on an operational DC, the type of m/board is unknown. Running Intel based Xeon chip.

Current RAM is: Samsung M391B5673EH1-CH9 DDR3-1333 2GB ECC CL9 4x2Gb

Was looking at getting some: GSkill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1333 PC10600 (F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT) x 2 to get 16GB

Comment

Might get/run CPU-Z and should (hopefully) be able to get the make of the mobo there on the Mainboard tab, also you should be able to find the model of the CPU on the CPU tab, which if nothing else will give an idea of the socket/chipset of the mobo. Probably should get a single set of 16GB, any time you mix two (or more) sets of DRAM it can be problematic, with a single set you are assured that the sticks are all tested to work together, which can especially important with a server. With what you've provided, and this is a guess, since it's a server and running 1333 with a Xenon CPU, you may have an Intel brand mobo and those can be particularly picky about DRAM (mixed sets). If you can get that info can provide a better idea of a good choice. With what you've provided and what I can surmise I'd prob suggest either the Ripjaws X # F3-10666CL9Q-16GBXL or regular Ripjaws # F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL.. Hope this helps some, if you can get the info mentioned might have more choices or can narrow down to a primary choice

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Memory capacity of the server is:
          Registered DIMM: 2, 4, 8 GB (G.Skill does not produce Registered DIMMs)
          Unbufferred ECC DIMM: 2, 4 GB (G.Skill does not produce ECC DIMMs)

Servers use a different type of memory that G.Skill does not make.

Sorry about that.

Thank you
          GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
          X