Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PC12800 ram freezes @ 1600Mhz with rampage II Gene, help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC12800 ram freezes @ 1600Mhz with rampage II Gene, help please!

Hello,

I have bought 2 packs of F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ, which are 2G x6 in total. My MB is ASUS rampage II Gene, running a i7 920 SLBEJ d0 stepping. In the MB QVL document, it states that the ram is compatiable in all A B C D types of installation, I assume it means the dual-tri channel on the board should work perfectly.

But when I set the DRAM clock manually to 1600MHZ, keep all others in default, system freezes frequently. Then I tried to load XMP profile1, problem still happens.
    Now I upgraded the bios to latest, tried both method, still cannot get it work properly.
    So now I am running at 1333

By the way, I wonder if I set the DRAM to 1600Mhz, does it have to be in OC mode. i.e. Power saving mode/ASUS Nap will be disabled?
    A bit off topic maybe, my northbridge runs @ around 59-64 degree celsius these days in summer, will this affect the stability of system rather than DRAM clock alone?

Any suggestion or comments are appreciated.

Nick

Would try to little lower latencies on 1600Mhz even Corsair 12GB set can't run their 1899Mhz speeds but instead they have to be dropped to 1600Mhz on full x6 controller and to consider speed actually you can with manually set latencies get very very near same results faster on 1333Mhz then on 1600Mhz.

59-64 degrees is insane. I would understand lets say 45-50 degrees although todays boards probably take 70-90 even, but still that's hot as hell.

anyway, perhaps this helps more:
    http://gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=741
    Last edited by genetix; 06-30-2009, 09:09 AM.
    "Sex is like freeware, shareware on weekends. When do we get to open source?" -TwL

Thanks AMD/ATI for banning legit customers who asks questions of your screw-ups:
    http://i45.tinypic.com/30j0daq.png

Comment

What is your memory voltage? Did you manually enter the memory timings? tCL 9 - tRP 9 - tRCD 9 - tRAS 24

What options do you have in Memory Level Up? Are there any other menus if you set AI Tuner to Manual? This is a configuration issue and I think it is because the UCLK is not high enough to operate the 1600 memory speed.

There are so many settings and options, it would probably be much quicker if you give us a call so we can simply walk through BIOS options.

GSKILL SUPPORT
      (909) 598-6860

Comment

Actually it would be better if the results were published here in the forums, so that any results positive or negative can provide input for others that might be considering this combo, If it's positive Gskill will get sales, if it's negative other users will know to look elsewhere for teh RAM or a different mobo.

Hiding results doesn't benefit anyone in the long run, (Support Desk Logic 101)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

I agree with Tman as well, and that is the benefit of forums, but in these cases we hope the original poster will come back to update the results and possibly become a G.Skill Forum regular. Just without screen shots it's extremely tough to know what's wrong or missing. Also, on the phone it's easier to simply go though each setting, but it simply is much quicker to troubleshoot the issue. Otherwise, the more key settings with values you post, the easier it is to troubleshoot.

Thank you
          GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Sorry for the late response, I just reinstalled my windows vista due to the rubbish SP2 causing problem with windows update. I am a UK user so the support phone isnt really a option for me

Right, I just clicked TAB to check the BIOS info when starting, and it actually shows DDR3-1066Mhz! That is certainly too slow for this ram. But talking about stablitiy, it runs perfectly in current setting.

Heres my current settings in the BIOS

Tuning Mode - Extreme OC
            CPU Level UP - AUTO
            MEM Level UP - AUTO
            CPU Ratio - AUTO
            CPU Power Limit- AUTO
            AI OC Tuner - Auto
            DRAM Frequency - Auto
            ULCK Frequency - Auto
            All voltages are set to default/auto

-------------------
            Failed attempt 1 (Got blue screen during XP installation)
            DRAM Frequency set to DDR3-1600, all other settings are kept untouched.
            -------------------
            Failed attempt 2 (Freezed during vista login when typing password)
            AI OC Tuner - X. M. P. Profile 1, 1600Mhz-9-9-9-24-2N-1.50V
            all other settings are untouched.

Bios has been upgraded to latest version, rev 0807 or something ,cant quite remember the exact number.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nick

Comment

Funny, having same issues with MSI X58 board too....

Comment

yea i read ur post as well, how frustrated...
                I mean, before I buy all those stuff, I spent days checking ASUS official QVL documents for a perfect combination between cost and performance, and it shows the ram is fine with dual-tri-channel settings @1600 with XMP
                Hopefully some change in settings or newer version of bios in future could fix the problem, but for now i can certainly live with it...

Comment

Yeah, i got the "contact the memory vendor" "your memory isnt on our QVL", funny thing is, these people ONLY test up to 6gb, even if the board states it supports 24, WTF??? You would figure they would at least test stuff with all the dimms populated..... Hope you get your board/mem issues figured out. @ this point im seriously considering reinstalling my 775 setup.....

Comment

Try setting BIOS this way.
                    First Memory Level Up to see if that will AUTO set everything for DDR3-1600. It should basically set everything for you such as BCLK freq, UCLK freq, MEMORY freq, PCIE freq, etc.

EPU II Phase Control - [Full Phase] (Yes, this disables the lower power consumption during idle state)
                    QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - [1.4V]
                    IOH Voltage - [1.3V]
                    DRAM Voltage - [1.65V]

Let me know if this works. This board has a lot of options and you should be able to make it work. I have seen this board go to 1800.

"Failed attempt 2 (Freezed during vista login when typing password)
                    all other settings are untouched."

You might want to try this setting again too just with voltages changed like above.

Thank you
                    GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

GSkill tech,
                      How'd you get roped into working on a Saturday? Glad to see ya though

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

haha donating my time to help people. since you complain about no support available on weekends! =P jk. but yea just making up since we have just been too backed up and busy catching up. this hopefully will buy me some time on Monday to figure out why email servers keep rejecting us. all these random little issues makes it THAT much harder to support people properly.

GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Might try sending 2 (or more e-mails) instead of just 1). Send a plain vanilla e-mail (no atch), then another w/ an atch, then a third w/ your 2nd atch, etc.

I'm guessing your getting tossed based on an attachment that the servers are seeing as SPAM. Are your attachments in plain text, PDF, JPG or what?

Believe you have my address, drop me one of the ones that are bouncing, I've got a couple e-mail servers I could test them with.

Tman

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL TECH View Post
                            Try setting BIOS this way.
                            First Memory Level Up to see if that will AUTO set everything for DDR3-1600. It should basically set everything for you such as BCLK freq, UCLK freq, MEMORY freq, PCIE freq, etc.

EPU II Phase Control - [Full Phase] (Yes, this disables the lower power consumption during idle state)
                            QPI/DRAM Core Voltage - [1.4V]
                            IOH Voltage - [1.3V]
                            DRAM Voltage - [1.65V]

Let me know if this works. This board has a lot of options and you should be able to make it work. I have seen this board go to 1800.

"Failed attempt 2 (Freezed during vista login when typing password)
                            all other settings are untouched."

You might want to try this setting again too just with voltages changed like above.

Thank you
                            GSKILL SUPPORT

Im back with the test results

After tried the MEM level up and XMP, both failed but significantly better than my results before. The system freezes after running 20-40mins rather than just 5mins

Any further advice is appreciated.

Nick

Comment

Try increasing QPI/DRAM voltage to 1.5V, a lot of people with this mobo have been needing a little more than 1.4V. What are your multipliers such as your BCLK and UCLK and such set at? If you could post your BIOS settings, that would be easier to see if you are missing anything. Also, have you tried the other 3 slots?

Thank you
                              GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                              X