Falcon appears dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon appears dead

So after my 64gb falcon working like a charm for a few weeks, today I turned on the PC to discover that it no longer was recognised.

I immediately tried a different cable, and a different slot on the motherboard, but to no avail. It's as if the drive is not even plugged in, nothing shows up in POST and nothing in the BIOS.

Strange thing is, is that I can still enter flash update mode, when connecting the jumper to the pins.

Before I try and flash it to the latest firmware again, has anyone else experienced this issue?

Im running a P5Q-E motherboard and C2D 8400, if that makes any difference.
    Edit/Delete Message

Yes, I have seen this happen to 3/4 of my falcon 256 GB drives, but I've never seen it on any of my 4 falcon 64 GB drives.

I was not able to successfully flash the drive after this happened. I had to RMA it.

Comment

Well, I have just reflashed it to the latest version, and it all appears to be working. However, I will still RMA it, because there is no way I can trust that my data will be relatively safe in the future. Im guessing if it's done it once, it'll do it again.

Comment

I think that was a firmware problem, not the hardware. So it's better to keep your old drive. The drive firmware is not probably compatible with all types of SATA or RAID controllers and that is the reason why they have let flashing option for the drive. Where you able to flash firmware of any hdd in the past, NO. Because every one work just fine. SSD is something new and the new controller on the drive is brand new technology not explored well by their software department and that is the reason of our problems. I have one of the first 64 MB G.skill SSD and was always working just fine, but with old well known Jmicron JMF602 controller.

Comment

I was contemplating this. The drive is as new now, and works fine again. I am posting from a windows installation on that drive.

Because of this, if i sent it back to the retailer, they'll find no problems and probably send it straight back to me.

Think I'll just keep it and create an image once everythings installed incase it happens again.

Thanks guys

Comment

Working...
          X