Life expectancy of the ssd drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life expectancy of the ssd drive

I would like to know how long I can expect the 128mb drive to last. I heard they do not last long. And every time you write to the drive it uses life and this I can understand. But all I have tried to read about this dive and the do?s and don?t or you will kill your drive sooner.
    Say I loaded windows a few times before I got a good load and tweaked to my liken. then load programs like office and such. A few games that could really benefit from this drive. Tweak it all in. clone an image for back up and started running the computer for normal everyday use. Keeping in mind I would have to do this all over again once windows is release later this year.
    Is this drive only going to last me 6 months or 10 years before it looses its performance and becomes useless to me.

A definitive how long is up in the air, if you employ the tips offered here and even more so in the OCZ forums you can definately extend the life since the bane of SSDs seems to be the writes that are made. Based on the 'estimated MTBF rate offered, they should last over 100 years, but they have a what, 2 year warranty. It's anybodies guess, of those I've worked with, the speeds decrease gradually the more they are used....and faster if they aren't optimized.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

There is more to it than that. You can use a wiper to improve the speed. Windows 7 will support a trim feature that means the drive never degrades. So, are you asking will it slow down on you, or will it quit on you?

Comment

The wipe command and the Trim command both help keep speed up by cleaning blocs of 'deleted' files and letting the drive know where these blocs are. The drives themselves will continue to 'degrade' for want of a better word because the flash memory chips have a limited numer of read/write cycles. This is where optimization of the drive comes in. On a normal system setup, say loaded to the C: drive, most of your programs and the OS itself are on that drive, if this is your SSD then the OS, your Browser (IE-Firefox), and programs such as MS Office are constantly creating (writing) temporary files to the drive and then in most cases cleaning them up, hence you almost constantly are reading and writing to the drive totally unseen to you.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

It would appear that g.skill has bigger problems than this, if drives keep failing after only 1 to 2 weeks. I'm certain they'll find a fix, but I hope it's soon. The performance of the drives are spectacular when they're working.

Comment

The original MLC drives were so-so, the Titans were a little better, the Falcons are pretty decent, but as you said, there's a number of reviews of the drives dying within weeks 2-9 (in all models). The ones I bought wouldn't get anywhere close to the advertised speeds (even w/ both in RAID 0. The initial support I was provided was "you should buy the Titan drives they are faster". No help, no tweaks, no nothing, just that basically I should forget about them and the money I spent and buy their Titans. That great bit of support sent me straight to the OCZ SSDs (and others) and I have since bought numerous SSDs for customer builds. I have since had the opportunity to work with 4 Titans and none of them impressed me either (in fact two have since died). Have played with two Falcons, which aren't to bad, but still prefer the OCZ drives....and they are there for you if you have a direct question (and they answer it)

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X