Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falcon 120GB SSD and MacbookPro 13" (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon 120GB SSD and MacbookPro 13" (2009)

Hi there,

i just bought a 120GB Falcon SSD and wanted to install it my new MacbookPro 13". I already updated with the EFI firmware update 1.7, but i still can`t manage the disk to work properly.

Here`s what happens:
    The MacbookPro installs MacOSX, when rebootimg the machine does not recognize the installed system.
    After zeroing the whole disk, iwas able to install and run MacOSX, but after a short while the system crashes.

I don`t think that the SSD itself is damaged, because it works fine in my MacPro desktop system.

It`s nice to have the SSD in the desktop, but i intended it for the mobile machine.

So is there anyone with the same problem ? Any hints or suggestions ?

As i mentioned, the EFI is updated to Version 1.7...

Thanks a lot for any comment!

I have exactly the same problem, except my falcon 128Go crashes before the end of the install of macos.

Comment

Some more info

I forgot: The firmware of the SSD is 1571, so the latest, and when connected via USB, the SSD also works fine with the MBP. SO i assume it`s something about the Controller / driver of the MBP...

Comment

Frack, you just killed all my hope, 1.7 and 1571 and it doesn't work

Except i can't check this myself, as i can't flash my ssd

Comment

ack. I have an mbp I want to put this in.

Comment

These some talk of this on the macrumors forum
            Some people suggest taking the laptop back to an Apple store and get them to roll back the EFI update
            But others report no problem with aftermarket hdd/ssd after the update as well
            And theres one guy that says his system is having problems, and he has not even installed the update, so its uncertain if it is really the cause

Comment

Dear Gskill and Fellow macbook users...

I wrote G.Skill tech support and have yet to receive a reply about the matter.

We all realize (after reading numerous threads) that it probably the 1.7 EFI Firmware by apple, however I read and spoke with OCZ's users and support and realized they're working on solutions for their products for a better integration with Macbooks and Mac in general.

I guess my point is this, can we expect a new firmware update that might solve this issue from G.Skill themselves? Will G.Skill try and have more support for Mac users? I would like to remind you that most professional Audio Recording and Production systems are Macs, Film and Cinema's leading studios all use Macs. SSD is the new, most important, upgrade in the computer world (at least that I know of).

Comment

G.skill have yet to reply to both my email and this post

I must say I'm more than dissapointed.
                G.Skill is a well known company for many years. I contacted them both here and in a private email and HAVE YET TO RECIEVE A REPLY to both.

How can I expect Apple to deal with this situation when G.Skill can't even find the time to help and guide her customers.... (They did find the time to remove a spammer who posted after me).

Comment

Originally posted by pinnocio View Post
                  I must say I'm more than dissapointed.
                  G.Skill is a well known company for many years. I contacted them both here and in a private email and HAVE YET TO RECIEVE A REPLY to both.

How can I expect Apple to deal with this situation when G.Skill can't even find the time to help and guide her customers.... (They did find the time to remove a spammer who posted after me).
                  I agree there support sucks. I have sent them a private email also and have heard diddley squat back from them.

Comment

I have the exact same setup (Macbook pro 13", SSD 128g with firmware 1571 and upgraded EFI firmware to 1.7) and was able to run my SSD with the MAC OS installed as primary and Windows 7 64 bit in a boot camp.

I remember reading somewhere that doing a clean install, wipping the partitions which came with the drive and re-creating them with a Vista or better yet a Windows 7 install disk helps the Macbook recognise the drive better.

Comment

Ok mates, I was able to Downgrade my firmware to 1.6. I can confirm that everything works great except for an occasional Beach Balling ("of death).

You can find the downgrade software here ->
                      http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...729883&page=13

Please remember, users and G.Skill, this ISN'T the solution, just a way to make the drive work until either a new Firmware update will be available (EFI 1.8) or G.Skill will find a way to make it work!

Now all that is needed is a wiper/trimming utility for mac OSX (remember 10.6!).

Cheers

Comment

We have been doing a lot of testing with Mac, so the new firmware should be much better. As far as technical support responses, I'm not sure what's going on with that. If you PM me, I respond within 24 hours so I did not receive your PM. As far as emails, we do respond within 72 hours max, so if you do not receive a response by then please send it again as we may not have received the email.

Thank you
                        GSKILL SUPPORT

Comment

Working...
                        X