Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram for Z77 board?

Hi,

I am building a new system first time in almost 5 years, so it is a major upgrade for me.

I see the Z77 is coming out next week, and looking for what ram to get.

Can i use the same type of ram that would be for Z68? DDR3 1600?

I was looking to get 16 GB, so would be 2 x 8 GB sticks.

Or do I need to verify with the mobo manufatcurer first?

I see there are a few sales at newegg this weekend which is why I am thinking of buying it now.

Thanks

To be honest they prob won't have had much of a chance to test all the sticks available, but good news is it's socket 1155 so the Ripjaws X, Ripjaws Z, Snipers and Ares will all be good picks, check the mobo you plan to get to see what they rate as the Max freq and quantity of DRAM i.e. some are 1600 max so may not want to splurge on 2133 sticks, though many are suppose to carry it
    Last edited by Tradesman; 04-06-2012, 08:40 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks.

Since it looks cheaper to get 4 sticks @ 4 GB each, is there any con to doing that? Also it seems memory has better timings on those sticks?

I am not a huge overclocker and not even sure if I will be OC. i just need a stable system

Comment

Should be no problem, if thinking 16GB still, can look at these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...PC3%2012800%29

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks I decided to go with these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231429

Since i saw on gigabyte site they were certified so less chance of running into any compatibility issue I figured with the new z77

also got a nice deal this weekend only $76 which is not bad I think.

Thanks for help now I just need Ivy cpu to be released finally.

Comment

New ones should be available between now and the end of the month, about halfway I'd say, the release date is a big hidden secret

Tman

Comment

I am hoping soon, I am still running a 4-5 year old machine E8400 with a gtx260.

All I need left now is to order Mobo + Cpu, but don't want to order mobo too early in case it is bad and rather go through newegg for repair then gigabyte.

Comment

Going through the Egg is definitely easier and better, and if the mobo is bad - no repairs, they'll send you a new one. The 8400/260 rig still should have some legs in it, prob ought to keep it around for a spare. Did you OC it, the 8400 will run right up there at around 4 GHz or so. I like to rehab those systems, most still have a lot of life in them.

Tman

Comment

I am not sure what I will do after, my plan was to reuse some parts to save money for example this is what I have now:

LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
                  GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS3L
                  Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
                  OCZ Platinum 4GB DDR2 1066
                  XFX GTX 260 OC
                  WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
                  Two Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint Drive HD103SJ
                  SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
                  CORSAIR 750TX PSU
                  Samsung 20 inch Monitor

So my plan was to keep the Case, PSU, and in the past 3 weeks I have purchased a Crucial M4 SSD, Asus 25 inch LCD, and EVGA GTX 680, and now the Ripajaws X 16 GB

I plan to get this mobo:

GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
                  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128545

Ivy Bridge i5-3750k

and still not sure what cooler to get with that mobo and ram. I realized might be tight. I am not a heavy overclocker, I never did OC the e8400, I am looking for more stability but from what I hear it easy to OC.

Comment

Sounds like me, with good components I'll reuse them from one system to another, I've got a RaidMax Katana case that I go a few years back and it's gone through three different socket 775 and is on it's 2nd 1155 socket rigs.....I'm looking at the Z77 mobos now and it will prob end up in the Katana. As I build new rigs, I still have and use the older ones and farm them down. Generally have 4 at any given time for my business, and a few older ones I use as loaners if folks bring one in for repairs - upgrades, as I'll have people drop their rigs off overnight so it costs them less than them paying me by the hour to sit at their place while diagnostics run, or I run cleanup/virus/malware programs - that way they pay for my working time opposed to time the computer is doing the work.

Tman

Comment

I've recently discovered Amazon for PC parts. They have the same return time limit as the Egg does but they will ship you out a new replacement before you send the old one back, and they haven't asked a question. If they don't get you defect back within a certain time, they charge you for the replacement part. I returned a CPU I ordered in error, unopened, and got a full refund, no 15% fee. I had to pay retrun shipping and Amazon supplied the label, which is cheaper than me going to UPS.
                      Be aware though, Amazon knows little to nothing about electronics.
                      I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that.

Comment

Yeah I ordered my 2 Samsung hard drives jan 2011 from amazon.

Unfortuntaely when they shipped it out, used horrible packaging, I guess cause OEM drives, they had noone of those plastic sides that are usually used to hold drives from moving in a box, and just put them in a box with some paper. Both drives were DOA, I was really upset, but sent an email to complain, they sent out two brand new hard drives this time packaging was 10x better and have worked since.

The only downside for amazon is they charge tax for me while newegg does not. So I have to see which one is cheaper.

Comment

So was curious I got my build working this week with i5-3570k and the gigabyte ud5h

Everything is working great so far, and I ran memtest overnight did 4 passes no issues.

I used this ram:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

But I noticed it shows up at 11-11-11-28, according to newegg spec should be 9-9-9-24

Is that normal? It still shows DDR3 1600. Should I leave it since stable or mess around with it? I get a 7.8 WEI score in windows so will changing timings make that much of a difference?

Last edited by tannor; 05-04-2012, 02:45 AM.

Comment

It probably loaded into the BIOS as default, which is why the CL11 timings, should be able to enable XMP to take it to 9 or simply change the base timings manually to 9-9-9-24, should be fine and increase performance a little over the CL11, know it's early, just put my 3570K/Z77 together last night, how do you like yours so far?

Tman

Comment

I will try your suggestions when i get hom but yeah so far it has been great, especially after I installed Win 7 on SSD, it flies. This machine BIOS boots up really fast, from power on to desktop it is 10 seconds approx.

Here is my final build

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
                              Intel i5-3570k
                              Thermalright True Spirit 120
                              G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
                              EVGA GTX 680 SC
                              Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
                              2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
                              WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
                              SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
                              CORSAIR 750TX PSU
                              LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
                              Asus 25 inch VE258Q
                              Win7x64

I have not had time to do much else except install OS / drivers, this weekend will put apps / games back on, and maybe try some Overclocking once i learn what all the BIOS settings mean.

The one thing I noticed was when copying large data say from one HDD to another, I am able to multitask and surf the web or run another app. In my previous E8400 build for whatever reason whenever I did that my machine bogged down when trying to multitask.

Comment

Working...
                              X