Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Falcon firmware flashing without jumper?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falcon firmware flashing without jumper?

how come G.Skill firmware flashing still requires using the jumper?...I thought all Indilinx controllers now allowed flashing via booting with a floppy/USB drive which doesn't erase your whole drive...why don't G.Skill Falcon drives support this method and will they ever support it?

I guess it's safer. I don't expected there will be many updates

Comment

using jumper would make it safer
      if you update firmware with jumper, you could update it until you suceeed
      but if you update without jumper, once you failed, your SSD is useless
      so, please make sure you update the firmware with jumper
      thanks

G.S

Comment

I don't mind flashing via the jumper method but I wish there was way of doing it without erasing the entire drive...the OCZ Vertex drives that use the exact same controller now allow you to flash the drive without erasing

I just purchased the G.Skill Falcon 256GB drive

Comment

Originally posted by Titus View Post
          I don't mind flashing via the jumper method but I wish there was way of doing it without erasing the entire drive...the OCZ Vertex drives that use the exact same controller now allow you to flash the drive without erasing

I just purchased the G.Skill Falcon 256GB drive
          I wish that too. So far i just do a image clone and copy it back after. If you are using mac os like me. You can use time machine.

Comment

sorry for th inconvenience, but we still choose to provide only the safest way to update the firmware
            it is more possible to lose your data while updating the firmware if you use the other methods

G.S

Comment

Originally posted by GSKILL View Post
              sorry for th inconvenience, but we still choose to provide only the safest way to update the firmware
              it is more possible to lose your data while updating the firmware if you use the other methods

G.S
              what's the difference both ways you lose data. i would prefer to be able to atleast have a chance to update firmware with keeping data like how the OCZ Vertex drives can.

If both ways lose data and one way is safer then the other why not offer both solutions?

The average uses that buy SSD's is not that stupid. both ways require you to back up your current data. The current method offered buy G.Skill is a 100% LOSE ALL DATA. one offered by Vertex is a "RISK" in losing data. i'd prefer the later.

Comment

Originally posted by Peet View Post
                i'd prefer the later.
                +1. Same here

Comment

would like to not have to erase the drive everytime also as that is a major inconvinence, and would gladly take the risk of maybe loosing the data once a back up has been taken

Comment

Yep, same story. Because that method can be finetuned to situation where it loses data only once per 100 000 FW updates.

Comment

My biggest concern isn't loosing the data. It's the need to remove the drive from my MBP.. go find a PC with Windows somewhere (like over at my parents or a friend) then open up their machine.. put the drive in there and do the update there.

It would've been so much easier to just pop in a bootable CD with an update tool and flash away.

Comment

Totally concurr

I actually tell people to buy the OCZ because of how much of a Pain in the *** it is to flash the drives.

If you only have once PC at home it is almost impossible to do, and as people have pointed out you ERASE the drive anyway to do it. So for the time taken to gin around and flash it, to the time taken to restore the image etc people are just better off paying the extra couple of bucks and buying the OCZ.

Fix it GSKILL you are seriously loosing business because of it.

Comment

I think the new (unreleased) firmware allows firmware flashing without the jumper...same way as the OCZ SSD's...am I right?

Comment

Working...
                          X