What does CL mean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does CL mean

I have seen many references but cannot see what CL7 means or other similar terms mean would anyone be able to enlighten me?

OK so I think I finally found it. CL stands for CAS latency. CL7 is faster than CL9 for the most part (basic understanding). It appears that DDR3 2133 is CL11 or more. I am planning on purchasing a new Ivy Bridge processor in the near future but ran into issues with OC my E8500 due to slower ram. Is it better to purchase CL11 DDR3 2133 and downclock it get better CL or should I pruchase slower CL7 RAM?

Comment

Basically, the CL tells you how many clock cycles it takes to perform an action, so the less the better. If looking at 2133 sticks would suggest looking to CL9 as a stock setting....that allows for OCing or underclocking at tighter timings and still leaves room for expansion. If you picked up a 2133/CL7 set like F3-17000CL7D-4GBXHD you'd be limited in upgrade ability, as 2133/CL7 sets are few and far between....and it's not really a good idea to try and mix sets of high performance DRAM. So best to buy as much as you think you'll need in a single set with the highest freq and lowest CL combo you can. I suggest the 2133/CL9 as you can go right up to 32GB
      Last edited by Tradesman; 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM.

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Thanks you do a great job by the way.

Next question is if I am planning on building with a Z77 motherboard do you know of anything I should be concerned about? I was planning on going with Sniper seires RAM primarily for the low profile of the RAM in sure that I don't have issues with the after market cooler I plan to use on the CPU.
        Last edited by Gloryhunter; 03-29-2012, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Haven't gotten my hands on one yet, but a couple of good articles I've bookmarked are:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...7_motherboards

http://techgage.com/article/a_look_a...oard_features/

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Yeah. Information is hard to come by atm but the Z77 should be out in two Mondays and the NDA is up on Friday (supposedly) . I am a bit excited about that.

Comment

Shall soon see

Tman

Comment

Which mobo are you looking to get? Stressful time at mobo manufacturers right now

Thank you
                GSKILL TECH

Comment

Working...
                X