RAM Both Sticks or single stick F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Both Sticks or single stick F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

I have a defective stick in my matched pair F3-1280CL9D-8GBXL - No need to memtest motherboard P8P67Pro has a nice little red light that goes bright red to show incompatible or not recognized memory. And with 1 of the two sticks it glows bright red and even if reset it returns to that state. (Pity i didn't notice this LED before spending 4 hours thinking it was a video card driver or some other problem with windows..repeated BSOD's with a different message each time..

With only the 1 good stick works fine..win7 64Bits i7 - 2600k. - 6970 Graphics. 850W 80+ P-supply

They both worked ok for over a year.

How critical is it to send both sticks in for RMA..vs replacing only the defective one..for proper dual channel operation and optimal speed.

I built this machine for optimal performance...but if i have to send both in I need to buy more or not have this baby to play with for a few days..which i would hate to see happen.

If i need to buy more while I RMA this memory should i buy the same or should i get something else and keep this memory for my next build...probably an i5 or an i3 2nd gen.

It would be interesting to use this memory until i'm ready for the new build and have 16Gb, although i haven't maxed out memory usage very often...a ramdisk is always a fun way to speed up things while doing video work.

Regards,

Please advise.

Best bet would be to RMA the set, that way you get a set back (and guaranteed to work together), then if you do buy another set, I'd get the same thing, with your system shouldn't be hard to get both sets to work together, maybe only slight voltage adjustments and we'd be there to help if needed. If you do only one stick, again, should be easy enough to get the replacement to play well.....but......if you RMA 1 and buy another set, then in effect you'd be trying to get a set and two singles to play nice, which may be a bit harder - (and yes, RAMDrive is VERY nice)

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Get same or different memory for P8P67 ??

If i am going to buy new memory of a different type like a 2x 8gb should i get something faster, the F3-12800CL9d-8GBXL was pretty much all i could find on the AVL when this board came out...i'm sure there is something better out today that my MOBO P8P67 Pro with I7 2600k can support..

Even if it means keeping these rams for a future machine..once i RMA them. and if i did decide to use them all i guess it both bank A and BankB would default to the lowest speed of the two ? I remember that using 8 latency memory was a problem when this board first came out is this still the case ? or should i just stick with the same model since this one should run at 1.5V as per the QVL from Asus ?

Do both channels operate seperatly or for best performance do they have to be the same..i see no 4 x 4G or 2x 8G in the latest QVL from Asus..for this board..Would i just enable XMP and let the MOBO handle it ?

Comment

Your combo can handle most any set on the market up to 32GB (4x8GB) @ 2133, the 2400 sets might have to be downclocked....Best to get a single set that has the amount of DRAM you want, that way you can use XMP

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Sniper series or Ripjaw Z series i`m not seeing any 2x 8GB kits in the PC3-17000 or PC3-19200 with the exception of the 4 x 8G Ripjaw Z..or should i just stick to the Ripjaw X 12800 if i want to add the original memory back to it..

Comment

Have you looked at NewEgg Canada? The 2133/CL9 set on this page is a good one:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...ED&PageSize=20

Also a pair of 1866 sets

Tman

Comment

Working...
            X