Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVD ROM not detected after computer is shut down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD ROM not detected after computer is shut down?

(Not sure if this is in the right board)

I just recently got a new motherboard (Asus M5A97), and the new AMD FX 8120 8-Core Processor. Everything works fine, except the fact that when i shut down my computer, and turn it back on, the computer won't detect the DVD ROM Drive. . . NOW, when i go into the case, unplug it, and plug it in again, it'll come up. I can restart the computer, and it will detect it. . It just won't detect it after the computer is shut down and turned on again. What could be my problem here?
    NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z Motherboard

AMD FX 8350 8-core Processor @ 4.0Ghz

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

2 x XFX R9270X Radeon Graphics Card (Crossfired)

Prob want the mobo manufacturers forum, though that would be ASUS...so to save you a bit of time hopefully, could be a few things, first, guessing it's SATA, would try with a different cable, if the problem persist, I'd go and find if their is a driver from the manufacturer of the DVD drive, then when it's working, go into Control panel and uninstall the current driver and shutdown, then restart and load the manufacturers driver. Let me know if this helps, it's the two most common problems for what you are encountering

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Originally posted by Tradesman View Post
      Prob want the mobo manufacturers forum, though that would be ASUS...so to save you a bit of time hopefully, could be a few things, first, guessing it's SATA, would try with a different cable, if the problem persist, I'd go and find if their is a driver from the manufacturer of the DVD drive, then when it's working, go into Control panel and uninstall the current driver and shutdown, then restart and load the manufacturers driver. Let me know if this helps, it's the two most common problems for what you are encountering

I tried changing the sata cables. . Problem persists. . . I have downloaded and installed the new driver from my DVD ROM drive (LG). . Doesn't help. . I even tried going into the BIOS to see if there's anything else, but nothing in there either. . . .
      NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

Comment

Have you tried a different power cable, not likely but possible. Might also check the jumpers on the DVD and make sure it's set right, try a different SATA slot. Check when you boot and see if the BIOS sees itt, before going to OS...might also check for BIOS updates - and let me know

Pls offer comments on support I provide, HERE, in order to help me do a better job here:

Tman

Comment

Have you tried a different power cable, not likely but possible. Might also check the jumpers on the DVD and make sure it's set right, try a different SATA slot. Check when you boot and see if the BIOS sees itt, before going to OS...might also check for BIOS updates - and let me know

Does a SATA DVD ROM have jumpers? I have tried different SATA slots on the board. . I updated the BIOS to the latest version before i installed my AMD FX 8120 8-Core Processor. . . Not sure why it's doing this. It was working perfectly in the other computer.

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

Comment

Some do, might also check in windows Explorer, look at Folder options and the view options and uncheck HIDE EMPTY DRIVES IN THE COMPUTER FOLDER and also Check the SHOW HIDDEN FILES, FOLDERS AND DRIVES

Tman

Comment

I'm gettin frustrated. . . Extremely frustrated. . . . . .

As i said, When i completely shut down the computer, and turn it on again, the "green light" on the DVD ROM doesn't blink, which tells me it's not being detected. When Windows boots up, I have to go into the computer tower, unplug the power supply from the DVD ROM, and plug it back in. . Then the green light blinks, the the ROM drives shows up in Windows Explorer. . . After that, I can "reboot" the computer and it will come back fine. The problem only exists when i completely shut down the computer and turn it back on. . .

Now, i always turn my computer off at night time when i go to bed, I guess I'm gonna have to leave it on 24/7. . lol

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

Comment

Do you have a different PSU you could try, it might not be regulating juice right, or another DVD drive to tell if it's the drive itself....or worst case the mobo is missing it, which could be BIOS or the mobo itself,

Tman

Comment

Do you have a different PSU you could try, it might not be regulating juice right, or another DVD drive to tell if it's the drive itself....or worst case the mobo is missing it, which could be BIOS or the mobo itself,
                  Problem Fixed....For now

I'm not sure what the deal was, but i switched out power supply cables, and it worked. So, i'm wonderin if the one i was using has a short in it

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

Comment

Could check the wiring, especially into the connector, aha...check my second Post, "Have you tried a different power cable, not likely but possible" I'll now have to keep that in mind as 'highly' possible ...Ha Ha!, glad things are better, keep in touch. For a DRAM and SSD company, on these forums I get into a little bit of everything

Tman

Comment

Could check the wiring, especially into the connector, aha...check my second Post, "Have you tried a different power cable, not likely but possible" I'll now have to keep that in mind as 'highly' possible ...Ha Ha!, glad things are better, keep in touch. For a DRAM and SSD company, on these forums I get into a little bit of everything

It's still doing the same dang thing.

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

Comment

Back to try a different PSU if you can or put the drive in a different system and see if it persist (or both), if fine in another system then it's prob good. Using a different PSU in yours and same, same would eliminate the PSU leaving the mobo/BIOS as the probable culprit. Also might make sure all the retaining screws on the mobo are snug into the standoffs and nothing metallic is touching any ICs on the mobo to eliminate shorts, like the CPU Heatsink, fans, etc

Tman

Comment

Back to try a different PSU if you can or put the drive in a different system and see if it persist (or both), if fine in another system then it's prob good. Using a different PSU in yours and same, same would eliminate the PSU leaving the mobo/BIOS as the probable culprit. Also might make sure all the retaining screws on the mobo are snug into the standoffs and nothing metallic is touching any ICs on the mobo to eliminate shorts, like the CPU Heatsink, fans, etc

The DVD ROM drive worked perfectly in my other system. Now, i did find out this DVD ROM is an OEM DVD ROM. Could that be a problem?
                          Last edited by StormChaser83; 03-15-2012, 08:21 AM.

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

Comment

May need a driver from the manufacturer or a firmware update, if it's older, the firmware may not match up to the mobo so it's not 'seeing' it on initial boot

Tman

Comment

May need a driver from the manufacturer or a firmware update, if it's older, the firmware may not match up to the mobo so it's not 'seeing' it on initial boot
                              Firmware updated. .. no change

16GB RAM

1100watt PSU

Comment

Working...
                              X